Most popular destinations for overseas weddings South Africa – with the opportunity to get hitched on Table Mountain or even in a game reserve. Just behind is the home of the barefoot beach weddings, Bali, followed by sunny Nigeria, Australia, Thailand and Mauritius.
Whether you are an outdoorsy couple looking for an action-packed bash or simply wish to kick back and celebrate with your nearest and dearest, this astounding island offers it all. Loved by the glitterati, thanks to the island’s ethereal tropical beauty and relaxed atmosphere, St Lucia has become a top wedding destination in recent years due to the wide selection of venues and swanky resorts now available.
For scenery that will make you swoon, head to the south of the island where you’ll find the majestic twin peaks of Les Pitons, St Lucia’s most iconic landmark, or go inland to witness the out-of-this-world exotic foliage and wildlife the National Rainforest Reserve has to offer. In terms of venues, every type of budget is catered for – from splendid plantation houses and boutique beach hotels to historical ruins and exciting rainforest retreats. Don’t mind if we do.
The white sands and rainforest-topped mountains of Grenada make this the perfect setting for laid back couples craving an intimate Caribbean wedding without the usual crowds. Known as the Isle of Spice, this dinky island produces more spices per square mile than any other place on earth, which means the gentle sea breeze carries the amazing scent of nutmeg, cinnamon and clove where you wander.
Seeking a wedding with a difference? In Grenada you can take your vows under a cascading waterfall, on a beautiful yacht or even underwater among the brightly coloured tropical fish!
Croatia is fast becoming one of the most coveted and budget-friendly wedding destinations for us style-savvy Brits. Famed for its astoundingly beautiful rugged coastline, Croatia also offers blissful lakes, pine groves and nature reserves, so there will be no shortage of fantastic settings.
Our travel tip? Head to UNESCO World Heritage Site, Dubrovnik for a wedding set amongst winding cobbled streets and a pretty harbour.
Cuba has long been a favourite for couples with wedding wanderlust and planning your big day here couldn’t be easier. Offering world-class beaches and stunning scenery, as well as rich culture and fascinating history, here guests can soak up the unique culture while your grandma gets to master some serious salsa moves.
And if you prefer a sophisticated city affair, then you can’t beat Cuba’s striking capital city, Havana. Jetsetters recommend getting hitched during Match or April for glorious weather and to beat the crowds. Why not give Havana’s famous cigars and local rum as favours, and arrive at your ceremony in a classic 1950s car?
Whether you’re a country bride or city-loving fashionista, our charming next door neighbour France, will never disappoint. Loved by couples for the vast wedding possibilities, the country offers delicious French cuisine, world-famous vineyards, rustic gîtes and elegant chateaus. Plus, the fact that you can be there in a flash means no ‘can’t get the time off work’ grumbles from your guests!
For die-hard romantics, the thrill of holding an intimate ceremony at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris will be hard to beat, or you could treat your guests to a cosy bash in the Alps or soak up the sun amongst the rich and famous in France’s luxurious Riviera. Of course, the wine and fashion credentials in France are pretty good, too.
Possessing some of the world’s most beautiful sunsets, it’s no wonder that soon-to-be weds flock to this classy Greek island. For coo-worthy postcard wedding photos, seek out Oia, one of the loveliest villages on the island, and make the most of the location’s amazing architecture, complete with stark white walls and brightly coloured doors.
Many couples choose to wed on the unique red, white and black volcanic sands of Santorini’s secluded beaches before sampling the delights of Greek cuisine and perhaps smashing a few plates. Apparently Santorini is a favourite with the Kardashians too (but don’t hold that against the island is you’re not a fan!).
Currencies Direct’s top tips for getting hitched overseas…
- If there’s a quite a few in your wedding party, you might get a better rate for your spending money if you agree to buy your currency together, and in advance. A specialist exchange company will give you a better rate than your high street bank.
- Get costs from your suppliers in the local currency, and pay them in the local currency – this will give you a much better exchange rate than one set by the hotel or wedding venue on the ground!
- If you’re looking to spend big and have several suppliers to pay, it can be better value to set up a local account and transfer the money over in a single lump sum using a specialist foreign exchange broker. This means you’ll get the best rate, minimise commission and fees, and avoid losing out on multiple transfers.
- If you do need to make multiple overseas payments, make sure you do it online through a currency specialist. You’ll generally avoid fees that way.
- Unless you spontaneously elope, you’re probably not going to get married for several months at least. Look at getting a Forward contract – a ‘buy now, pay later’ transaction, where you lock in the current rate for a future purchase in the next 12 months, or a Limit order.
Source: Real Weddings