If you are a foodie then you’ve got to have extra love for summer because it brings with it loads of veggies and fruits which can be incorporated into different recipes! Corn is one of such goodies so this week, how about some smoky corn and shrimp fritters for dinner?
When paired with a simple green salad and maybe some crusty bread, corn and shrimp fritters make the kind of light dinner that’s meant for sticky summer evenings. A glass of wine alongside is welcomed and encouraged!
The key to marrying the flavour of Corn and Shrimp is blending some of the uncooked shrimp into a paste, which acts as a binder and helps marry its flavour with the corn kernels, this way, you’re getting the sweetness of both ingredients in every bite.
Adding the smoke flavour if you don’t have a grill is pretty easy. To mimic the results you get on the grill, add an ingredient like smoked paprika to the mix. It gives a touch of that just-grilled flavour to the fritters.
Smoky Corn & Shrimp Fritters Recipe (Serves 4)
1 pound uncooked peeled, deveined medium shrimp. (If frozen, be sure to thaw it )
2 cups fresh corn kernels
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
- Place 2/3 of the shrimp in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the shrimp paste to a large bowl. Chop the remaining shrimp Coarsely and add it to the bowl. Add the corn, scallions, parsley, smoked paprika, and salt and stir to combine.
- Form the mixture into 8 (2 1/2-inch-wide) patties and place on a large plate. Cover and chill up to overnight.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add 4 of the patties and cook until golden-brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the patties and cook until the shrimp is opaque and the fritters are crisp, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer the fritters to a clean plate and repeat with frying the remaining patties.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
NOTE: Fritters are best enjoyed immediately, however leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.